Wednesday, July 26, 2006

...and my heart broke

My baby girl had stitches put in her head last night. She fell headfirst into a metal bar in the hallway of our apartment building, and opened up a pretty nice gash on her forehead. She didn't even cry - she was more concerned about the fact that she couldn't go swimming (they were on their way to the pool). She did cry when her forehead was getting frozen, but who can blame her? I had my forehead frozen when I was 20 and I think I cried! Carl said she was very brave through the whole thing. What a little toughie.

We went to church on Sunday for the first time since we moved to our new place. It was first on our list to check out, and while we thought the sermon was pretty good, we were underwhelmed by the community. There was a lot of mumbling prayers and hymns, though the hymns were understandable as the pipe organ was so loud it was overpowering. Carl and I both had headaches by the time we left. Hayley enjoyed church school and Carson was fine in the nursery (though he was the only child in there). I did think their alert system for the nursery was good - it's a small screen in the church that flashes a number assigned to your child if you need to come pick him/her up. Anyway, this Sunday Carson and I will be checking out another church (Carl and Hayley are going camping with her uncles and her cousin). I hadn't looked at the website for this one before because it's not in our neighbourhood. Not that it's far at all - only five kilometres (three miles) - it's just that there are so many churches between here and there that I didn't think to look at it. And maybe that's part of the problem. There are too many parishes and not enough parishioners. Anyway, I have high hopes for this one. It's got me excited the same way I was when I found St. Tim's website. Check out their website and let me know what you think: Church of the Redeemer

Today is mine and Carl's 9th wedding anniversary! It's hard to believe it's been that long. We're not doing anything special to celebrate today because we considered our kidless vacation a week-long celebration and anniversary present to each other (and from my parents!)

Have to dash to Hayley's swimming lesson. Love and blessings,
Sherry

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Taize service sounds very interesting and the sanctuary looks beautiful! I hope this parish is everything you want/need it to be! I knowhow hard it is to find a good parish after being at St. Tims. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh, our poor little princess, Hayley! Happy Anniversary! We will definitely get together soon, when we get home! Hope this church is everything that you hope for and that Carl and Hayley have a wonderful camping trip!

Anonymous said...

Oh Poor Hayley... please let her know that we are sending her big hugs and kisses. But at least now she and Mateo can compare head scars.

The church sounds great and is beautiful. I hope you find a new spiritual home soon. You will know it when you find it... we knew it was St. Tim's when we found it but still checked out a few more places before coming back for good.

We are missing you so much... with VBC planning right now it is even worse. By the way I STILL haven't mailed Hayley present Alondra made her months ago, I know I am lame :blush: but I promise it is coming soon.

Hugs to all

Traci, Tim, Alondra and Mateo

Anonymous said...

OOPS and I forgot to say HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

Traci

Julie said...

The church looks interesting. It would seem that they are a busy parish, with lots of staff to provide support for their ministries. I hope it works out.

I'm sorry about Hayley's head - that is such a drag. I hate watching my kids be hurt.

I hope you are doing well otherwise. Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Poor Hayley! Chris and Josh both have stitches in the forheads. The scars fade fast. Thank goodness Carl was there and you were able to have just one of you take her in.

Happy Anniversary!